When it comes to carrying out a construction, DIY or maintenance project, the need for access equipment such as ladders is inevitable. However, with different types of ladders and access equipment available, it can be helpful to have a bit of information on what is best suited to your project requirements. In this blog, we will discuss the different types of ladders and access equipment and help you make an informed decision on which one is the best choice for you.
What are the different types of ladders?
If you’re looking to hire a ladder, there is a lot to choose from. At PSM Tool Hire we boast a varied range, with popular products for both commercial and domestic applications. Amongst this selection, we offer:
Roof ladders are specifically designed for accessing roofs. They are lightweight and portable, making them easy to transport and use. They come with hooks that securely fasten the ladder to the roof, providing stability and safety.
These ladders are the ideal choice for inspecting roofs, cleaning gutters and carrying out repairs on the roof. They are an essential piece of equipment for professionals who work in the roofing industry.
Step ladders are one of the most commonly used types of ladders. They are stable, sturdy and easy to use. They are designed to be freestanding and don't require support from a wall or other structure. The common uses of step ladders include decorating, changing light bulbs and accessing low-level storage areas. They are versatile and come in a range of sizes, making them suitable for a wide variety of applications.
Telescopic ladders are versatile, lightweight and easy to store. They are designed to be extended and collapsed easily, making them perfect for use in a variety of applications, especially for working at greater heights than other types of ladder.
They are commonly used in construction, DIY and maintenance projects. The fact that these ladders are collapsable makes them easy to transport from job to job.
Combination ladders are designed to be used in multiple configurations, making them ideal for use in a wide range of applications. They can be extended to form a traditional ladder, a step ladder or a work platform. These ladders are popular for decorating, DIY projects and general maintenance tasks. Their versatility and ease of use make them a popular choice for both professionals and DIY enthusiasts looking to hire a ladder. The fact that these ladders can be used to create a work platform makes them a popular choice for anyone who regularly uses paint, decorating materials or tools at height.
Extension ladders prove the perfect choice for gaining access to high-level areas such as roofs and upper floors. They are commonly used in construction, maintenance and cleaning projects. The common uses of extension ladders include cleaning gutters, painting and carrying out repairs at altitude or on roofs.
What other manual access solutions are available?
As well as an ample range of ladders, PSM tool hire offers a range of alternative access solutions that prove extremely popular. These include:
- Mobile Access Towers: Mobile access towers are designed to provide safe access to high-level areas. They are commonly used in construction, maintenance, cleaning and decorating projects. They consist of a platform supported by a frame that can be easily moved from one location to another. Some of the benefits of mobile access towers is that they provide space for tools and are far steadier than ladders. The common uses of mobile access towers include painting, cleaning windows, and carrying out repairs on roofs. Their stability and mobility make them a popular choice for professionals and they are a favourite for facilities management teams.
- Podium Steps: Podium steps provide a safe and stable working platform for low-level access. They are commonly used in construction, maintenance and cleaning projects. They are lightweight and easy to move, making them perfect for use in confined spaces. Podium steps are a popular choice for decorating, cleaning windows, carrying out electrical maintenance work, etc. Their stability and portability make them an excellent choice for professionals.
- Desksurfer: Desksurfer is a unique access platform designed to provide safe access to suspended ceilings or other high-level maintenance tasks. It is a compact and portable platform that can be easily assembled and disassembled by one person. Its lightweight and compact design make it ideal for use in confined spaces such as offices, schools and hospitals. The common uses of the Desksurfer include installing and maintaining ceiling tiles, lighting fixtures and ventilation systems. Its compact design allows it to fit through narrow doorways, making it perfect for use in tight spaces.
- Adjustable Magic Platform Steps: Adjustable Magic Platform Steps are ideal for accessing heights that are hard to reach using traditional ladders. They are designed to be stable, adjustable and portable. These steps are suitable for use in warehouses, factories and construction sites. Adjustable Magic Platform Steps are frequently used for tasks such as carrying out maintenance work, stock-taking and loading and unloading items from shelves. The steps are adjustable, meaning that they can be customised to suit the user's height, making them more comfortable to use for prolonged periods.
- Trestles & Staging: Trestles and staging provide a safe and stable working platform. They consist of a frame and a board, which can be adjusted to different heights. They are commonly used in construction and maintenance projects, as well as for plastering, painting and decorating.
Choose PSM Tool Hire for ladder and manual access hire
Choosing the right type of ladder or access equipment for your project is crucial to ensure safety and efficiency. Each type of ladder or access equipment has its own advantages and disadvantages, and it is important to understand these before making a decision. At PSM Tool Hire, we offer a range of ladders and access equipment to suit different project requirements. If you are looking to hire a ladder, our team of experts can help you choose the right equipment for your project, ensuring safety and efficiency. Call us on 020 8850 5658 today and let PSM Tool Hire help you with your project.